Friday, March 16, 2012

Writings of the Heart

We are back again with more Heart updates. This time, I'd like to show you what a text page looks like in my new book. I went back and forth several times with handwriting the words or finding a font that fit with the illustrations.

Here's a text page I did by hand with my kuretake brush pen.



I'm not a big fan of my writing so I don't know why this was an option. I think I wanted to convey that same fluidity and playfulness that I see in the water color illustrations. I was too nervous and felt my hand shake a lot. It wasn't confident. I thought maybe I could build the confidence with the text like I did with the water colors over time. However I don't think that would show in the progression…plus it's way too much to write in one little square. Having control of the size and font made it much easier to fit the text in a nice formed way and have it pleasing to the eye and easy for the reader(s) to read. The challenge with this was finding a font that represented that hand written quality w/o actually writing it. A font that compliments the illustrations and is easy to read. So here's the new text page with the font I picked, Belligerent Madness:



Also here is a look at the cover the book. Again I wanted to simulate a handwritten font but also have it different from the inside. Something that stood out against the wallpaper backdrop. I didn't want to draw any of the characters on the front but I wanted the viewer to see the cover and immediately pick it up to see what's inside. I needed a cover font that was inviting, that made you curious and I found that the font DJ Gross:





I know I've been going on about this book being up on Kickstarter but it's taken a little longer than expected. I decided to shoot a quick intro video and basically re-tell all the behind the scenes I've spoken about in prior entries. I will have tons of great things to reward you with when you donate to my little book project so be on the look out for that. I'm sure I will social media bomb the crap out of it.

No comments: