Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mid Ohio Con 2011: swag

Here are some of the items Nic and I picked up at Mid Ohio Con this year.

In post con wrap up, I had mentioned meeting Steve Harpster and Barry Deutsch

Steve Harpster is the creator of Drawing Animals with Numbers books as well as several others over here at his Studio Harpster.



These books are phenomenal and I got to chance to talk to Steve about his projects as well as the many school visits he does and children's workshops.  Amazing stuff here, I picked up a set of books for myself and for my niece (but really for me buahaha).  I suggest you check them out and if you work for a school or library maybe you can drop him a line and set up a visit for your kids!


I was heading down the aisles packed with people when Barry Deutsch's book caught my eye.  I made a mental note to grab Nicole and stop by his table.  His book, Hereville sold us on his pitch alone: Hereville is a comic book about an 11-year-old troll-fighting Orthodox Jewish girl.  How could you not want to pick up this book?  We got to chat with Barry on evolutions of the book and about wanting to write about his culture.  Click to check out more about Barry and his multi-award nominated graphic novel, Hereville.


I am a big fan of the Kirkman's super hero series Invincible.  Over the course of reading all 6 Ultimate Editions this past summer, I fell in love with Ryan Ottley's amazing artwork.  The man can draw violence…with ease.  Every thrown punch, bashed face, ripped limb, hits a nerve in your body when you see it.  It's exhilarating.  His cityscapes and out of this world environments are breathtaking.  If I had enough room in my bag I would've brought all the Ultimate Editions with me to get signed.  Instead I picked up his insane art book, Violence and Pinwheels.  I didn't bother him for a sketch cause I knew he was pretty backed up but I do hope to get a sketch by him for my TMNT art book.


Speaking of my TMNT art book.  I added some new additions at this con.  First up, I had Lora Innes of The Dreamer fame and the great PaperWings Podcast do my very first April O'Neal.  It seriously floored me and I was happy to know she was honored that I asked her to draw April as she was a huge fan of her growing up.


I also got my first Splinter in the book done by the hilarious John Schweiker.  I could not stop laughing when he showed me what he did with the old sensei.  It's too funny.   Check out more of John's amazing work on his deviant art page.



I also picked up this 8-bit print of our heroes in the half shell by Victor Dandridge.  I cannot wait to get this sucker in a frame.  It's awesome and I'm glad I got one before they sold out…again. It's seriously frickin' awesome.  You have to check out more of his 8-bit creations.  They are incredible!


 Well that's it for this con's swag!  Until next time folks!






No comments: