Wednesday, October 05, 2011

The Li'l Depressed Boy Issue 6

So, this is kind of cool.  I've boasted many times about how great  S. Steven Struble and Sina Grace's Li'l Depressed Boy which is put out by Image Comics.

I liked it so much I had to send out an email and a bit of fan art:

Hi!

I recently bought the trade paperback and loved all the sketch work and behind the scenes on how
Li'l Depressed Boy has come to be.  I am a writer/illustrator of my own children's books entitled When I Was Little and am currently finishing up the fourth volume.  I hope you guys can take the time to check it out.  Anyhoo, I am a big fan of Li'l Depressed Boy and loved seeing all the homage movie covers for the individual issues. In honor of that, I have done an LDB cover inspired by one of my favorite films...which I believe LDB would love watching too.  I hope you enjoy it!  Thanks for bringing LDB to us.  It's a great book and a great read!


I've never really sent out a fan email before but I appreciated the work so much I just had to let the creators know.  So not long after I got a response from S. Steven Struble, the writer of LDB and it blew my mind!


JUSTIN!

Great job, man.  It's now my iPhone lock-screen, and it's going in the letters section of issue #5.  I am completely in love with this, and hate myself for not coming up with it myself.  This would have a good variant cover if we were to get another printing on an issue!  Haha.

Love it.  Seriously.

Will check out your site in more depth after I've completed issue 5.

Thank you so much!
S. Steven Struble

Holy crap right?  Well it got better as a few days later I received another email from Steven and in the tail end of he asked me this:
 
We would like to invite you to draw an official full-page pin-up for a future issue.  Are you interested?


Say whaaaaa? Seriously,  how cool is that?  So I jumped at the chance and came up with this:


It was hard to nab a copy of the issue when it came out cause it sold out quick!  But my local comic shop had one issue left and was so excited to nab it!





And what did Struble thing of the piece?



So I say again....this is kind of cool....right?



No comments: