Sunday, August 12, 2007

Movies I love: The 'Burbs


Come on! The 'Burbs! How can you not like this movie?! It's got Corey Feldman. Ok maybe that is not a reason to like it but I think when I was little I enjoyed watching this movie because of how dark the humor was at the time. To me it had a Looney Tunes aspect to it because of the crazy scenarios like Art getting electrocuted and the Klopeks' house blowing up. Hope I didn't spoil anything but the movie is like 16 years old. Still, I think this movie is partly responsible of my paranoia of suburban life when I moved out here back in '95. Shady characters, annoying kids, stuck up neighbors, and dogs that take craps on your lawn...ahhh the suburban life. Anyways one of my favorite moments in the movie is when Art finds a femur bone that Ray's (Tom Hanks) dog digs up. He slowly looks up and says, "Ray, this is Walter!" And then they scream at the top of their lungs as the camera zooms in back and forth on their expressions! Classic. If you know the scene you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways I watched this the other day and it just gets funnier and funnier and you tend to notice things the more you watch it. There's this one scene where Art is eating all the breakfast food that Ray's wife (Carrie Fisher) cooks and he uses up the syrup and so he goes to the fridge and puts it back. Then he comes back and pulls out a NEW bottle of syrup, leftover ribs, and a pineapple. HAHA what the shit is that?! I don't know about you but I found that hilarious for some reason.

Anyhoo, here's a drawing from the famous scene I talked about before. I plan to color this up and all that jazz. (Yeah I know I've been saying that alot lately but I do mean to finish something sometime.)

No comments: