Friday, July 15, 2005

Review: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"Wow, that's weird"

- Willy Wonka

Those words are probably the best way I would describe this delightful family film. It truly is a family film. I sat in an audience with lil kids and I didn't mind that because it was a film they should come to the theater and enjoy and laugh.

The movie pretty much follows the book pretty well but it does add some background story to which explains a bit better why Willy Wonka is so socially awkward. Which from the book didn't seem like he was this socially awkward person. I think thats more of a combination of Depp and Burton's twisted take on the character. All the kids were casted perfectly and Augusus Gloomp was probably my favorite. Little fat kids..aghhhh the funniness of it all.

As far as acting, Depp turns in another solid role. I think he is probably the only actor I can think of that has had the opportunity to play such interesting and intriguing characters portrayed on film. Raoul Duke, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Captain Jack Sparrow,
George Jung, Ichabod Crane, and Gilbert Grape to name the memorable. Anyways you pretty much go in there expecting the best he has to offer and you come out of the picture remembering his quirkiness and slightly mischievious personality.

The sets were pretty amazing and it makes you wish a kind of chocolate factory exists. They were very Burton-esque and wonderfully weird. The intro to the factory and the giant chocolate waterfall is so cool and colorful.

The music was done by Danny Elfman, no shock there. I saw in the credits that he actually did all the vocals for the oompa loomps which was a nice touch. All the lyrics that Roald Dahl had written in the book were used and it was kinda nice to get a different melody and song for each lil piece in the movie. I loved Veruca Salt's song the best. I'm glad that Danny Elfman put the original lyrics to actual melodies.

Speaking of Oompa Loompas, they were all played by an actor named Deep Roy. This was an amazing special effect and all the old school camera tricks were cool as well. You also get a lil background on Loompaland and get to see what that looks like. All in all it was a great movie and a very wonderful family film to check out. If you're a big fan of the book, burton, depp, and the original, go check it out. All the kids applauded after it was over and I'll admit to clapping too.

As far as comparisons to the original, this one is a little more twisted and it does give a more social awkwardness to the character of Willy Wonka. They are both good films in my opinion and I like them both. Gene Wilder's the shit what can I say. "Hear no Evil, See no Evil" with Richard Pryor is an awesome movie! Ok I'm done.


OHHH By the way when the kids get introduced to Willy Wonka, it is probably one of the funniest scenes in the movie. And that damn song gets stuck in your head throughtout...time to download it HAHA.

No comments: